Friday, October 10, 2008

14 children and still pregnant!

As I was trying to unwind (gee, it’s finals week), a particular show on TV caught my attention. It was on Discovery Channel Home & Health (one of my faves nowadays) and it was entitled “14 Children and still pregnant!” or something like that. Then I said, “What in the world!?” …and decided that I have to know what in the world of this family was really happening. I put down the remote and finished the show, so there it is, a happy family with fourteen kids plus no.15 on the way… SPELL INCREDIBLE. And here’s the greatest thing about it: They’re not in chaos!!! They are so organized, soo… phew – good people! Well, they’re Christians, just like me, so they’ve given me an idea on how to manage my family in the near future (I’m so excited haha) regardless of how many kids my future husband and I could make. I’ve always wanted a quiet home, so I told myself that I would have 3 kids at most. But upon seeing this show, oh wow, I’m thinking of having as many as God wanted me to have.
Jim Bob and his wife, (forgot the name, sorry, they’re just too many!) were asked questions like how do they do it, manage and provide, like, financially support each child’s needs? And who would have guessed their answer… They don’t loan, or borrow money unless it’s very, very important at the time. If they don’t have the money, they don’t buy. They save. They don’t have debts!!! Wow! Talk about stress-free life. Financially, they’re very much okay. They have a pantry filled (and when I say it’s filled, IT IS FILLED) with food and all the other stuffs that they need. They eat more than three times a day, but they’re healthy and not overweight. Mommy looked so pretty with that long curly brown hair, and she doesn’t look like one who has 14 children and 1 on-board! She’s like some Victorian/Helenistic type of woman. Daddy’s soooo… neat. =D And good-looking too. They all are! Especially the little ones, so adorable! I’m sorry, but I’m just so amazed by them. ;)
They have a huge chart and some checklists pasted on the wall. Mommy said that it was their “master schedule”. It consists of their daily activities or chores and the ‘buddies’ who are assigned to accomplish them. She also admitted that it’s just impossible to finish everything that they’ve written there for the day. But at least they have a goal for each day, something to remind or tell them where they’re going. So they’re days are always ended with thanksgiving and contentment and satisfaction. Isn’t that genius?
Okay, so let’s talk about the kids. They have two sets of twins, and the girls are outnumbered. Their eldest is a boy, same as the youngest (that’s no.15 – yep, during the show, Mommy gave birth to no. 15, so the viewers all around the world witnessed his first cry! It was even mentioned that this baby boy would be the ‘most hugged’ baby of all. Yea, we get it!) Mommy and Daddy thought of the “buddy system” so they wouldn’t have to worry for each one. Plus, everyone gets Mommy and Daddy’s attention (it may not be their whole attention -- of course, that wouldn’t be possible, but at least everyone gets to be Mommy or Daddy’s ‘buddy’ once in a while!). They’ve got different personalities; extroverts and introverts and those that are kind of in between. From the eldest to the youngest at the time of the interview (that means it was still no. 14), Mommy was asked to describe each child. There are some who are born leaders, some who are just quiet, the sweetest, the comedian, the giver, the little angel, etc. They are home-schooled (and everyone’s loving it, even Mommy, they’re teacher) and each child is REQUIRED to learn two instruments, the piano and the violin. They have their music time, and everyone gets to practice (and for the older ones, to teach) how the instruments are played. Even the youngest gets to play too! But he isn’t allowed to have his own instrument yet, so he has to practice holding the violin properly and how to glide the bow for the meantime.
Everything seem so perfect (for me they’re the ideal family), but as the saying goes, “Nobody/Nothing is perfect”. They have a little problem. Bathroom. They’re living in a house with only two bathrooms, so you get the picture. Still, this little problem led to another amazing thing. They will be moving to a very big, nice house very,very soon! And the amazing part? Except for some visits and advices from friends, Mommy, Daddy and all the rest are the ones building it! SPELL COOL. This is indeed the coolest story I’ve ever known this week, and maybe for the rest of my life. Who knows, I might be able to outdo the record! Ahaha. Just wanted to be featured. Anyway, I’m always on the look for interesting things and stories, so keep reading and posting, too. Ciao!

No comments: